In a series on this website we’ll entertain YOU with our picks - or: what we think is worth sharing - every week. Books, articles, gems, fun stuff… you’re in for an eclectic mix! So, here’s for the one-hundred-sixty-seventh edition:
- Macmoji - Slack-style emojis for Mac using auto-expand!
- Flirting with Crystal, a Rubyist Perspective - Fabio Akita makes the point for Crystal as a “gap language” between the high-level languages like Ruby and lower-level languages like Go or Rust.
- Hop off the tutorial treadmill with comment-driven development - This sounds especially useful if you want to learn a new programming language or framework.
- Mastering Programming - Kent Beck on the patterns he has observed in master programmers.
- Make Small Things - Awesome episode of the Bikeshed podcast, with Sandi Metz on everything from object oriented design, over approaches to naming things, up to pre-conferences shakes - live from Rails Conf.
- Principles and mottos: misunderstood and applied - Decompressing Rails' principles and conventions to check if we understand and apply them in a healthy way.
- Ecto 2 and Phoenix Presence - José Valim and Chris McCord on the Changelog, sharing interesting insights on the way and future of Phoenix, applying some cutting edge computer science in the wild.