In a series on this website we’ll entertain YOU with our picks - or: what we think is worth sharing - every week. Books, articles, gems, fun stuff… you’re in for an eclectic mix! So, here’s for the one-hundred-forty-first edition:
- Ruby Rogues 241 - The latest Ruby Rogues episode is about What Makes a Great Developer, and is absolutely worth listening to.
- How to honor Aaron Swartz - It’s been 2 years since Swartz' suicide, and Ben Wikler wrote a post about how to make sure that the cause he fought and died for didn’t die with him. It’s a really sad but interesting read that makes you reconsider what you do every day, and how to improve your life to make a difference in the world.
- (OS X) Self Control - Block your access to websites that distract you
- CSS Diner - Fun way to learn CSS selectors!
- Pairing With Junior Developers
- How To Safely Store A Password - Spoiler: use
bcrypt. Read on for details.
- Postgres 9.5 - the Feature Rundown - 9.5 was released last week, and here’s what’s new.
- IPv6 celebrates its 20th birthday by reaching 10 percent deployment - 10% might not sound impressive, until you realize what was involved in getting there.
- Locomotive CMS hits 3.0 - Locomotive CMS is my favorite CMS (besides Comfortable Mexican Sofa) and it just hit a long awaited 3.0 this week.
- Comfortable Mexican Sofa - Since I mentioned it above, I’ve gotta share this great, plug-in Rails Engine CMS.
- Trailblazer - Trailblazer is a Rails and other system friendly architecture. It’s maybe what Rails would look like if software design was up higher on its list of goals. I’m reading the book and I’m super into it. I’ve started converting some projects over, and using the concepts in other projects.